The North American Maritime Ministry Association recognizes those who have demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to serving seafarers. At this time, we offer two awards:
- Distinguished Service Award. This award (previously called the Lifetime Membership Award) is for those who have given exemplary service to seafarers’ welfare over many years both within a local seafarers’ ministry and in other local, regional, national, or international bodies. Nominees should be or have been in the past, a NAMMA member, part of a NAMMA affiliated agency, or a substantial partner with NAMMA in our programs. These awards normally will be presented at a NAMMA conference or meeting, but may also be presented online. Award recipients will be notified in advance of the meeting so that they can make appropriate preparation to attend.
- Volunteer Dedication Award. This award recognizes any volunteer (individual, couple, or group) who has contributed significant service to a local seafarers’ ministry. NAMMA affiliated agencies can nominate their volunteers for this award. Certificates will be mailed to the affiliated agency so they can, if possible, present the certificate to the volunteer(s) in person.
Should you wish to nominate someone for one of these awards, please write to the NAMMA Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominees are considered by the Executive Committee of the NAMMA Board.
Thank you to all our Members and partners for their support of seafarers’ welfare and the recognition of the dedicated volunteers and professionals who give tirelessly of their lives for the betterment of mariners!
Past recipients of our Distinguished Service Award (since 2017):
- Kenneth Hawkins, Mission to Seafarers Seattle – 2020
- Lesley Warrick, Seafarers’ House – Ft Lauderdale – 2020
- Joan Lyons, Seamens’ Center of Wilmington, DE – 2020
- Kathleen “Kate” Hunt, Seafarers’ International Union – 2020
- Karen Parsons, Galveston Seafarers’ Center – 2020
- The Rev. Linwood “Len” Williams, Charleston Port and Seafarers’ Society, 2019
- Rev. Maggie Whittingham Lamont, Mission to Seafarers, Halifax, 2019
- Douglas B. Stevenson, SCI New York & New Jersey, 2019
- Deacon Patrick Dempsey, Stella Maris, New Orleans, 2018
- Fr. James Von Dreele, SCI Philadelphia & South Jersey, 2018
- Rev. Andy Krey, Maritime Bethel Savannah, 2018
- Fr. Ron Perkins, Seafarers’ House – Ft Lauderdale, 2018
- Carleen Lyden-Walker and Clay Maitland, NAMEPA, 2017
Recipients of our Lifetime Membership Award (before 2017):
- Mr. Richard H. Beuthel
- Chaplain Lloyd Burghart
- Karen Burghart
- Rev. Paul K. Chapman
- Rev. Charles S. Corey
- Rev. Aias de Souza
- The Most Rev’d T.E. “Terry” Finlay
- Rev. David Hurty
- Rev. Dr. Roald Kverndal
- Rev. Jim Lindgren
- Br. Ed Munro
- Ms. Patricia Nemec
- Rev. Heinz R. Neumann
- Chaplain Clint Padgitt
- Fr. Rivers Patout III
- John A. Sansone, Jr.
- Rev. Jean Smith
- Allene T. Taylor
- Chaplain Alice Reese Thomas
- Rev. James R. Whittemore
- Rev. Capt. Tae Seog Yang