NAMMA Seafarers’ Welfare Parallel Sessions at CMA Shipping 2017 – “Seafarers’ Health and Well-being”
The CMA is the largest commercial shipping association in the United States, which means that leaders of industry and government enthusiastically attend to share their ideas, voice concerns and explore answers to today’s new issues.
Though the CMA has activities year-round, their main meeting is the SHIPPING conference held every Spring in Stamford, CT. With 130 exhibitors and 2,500 attendees, this conference helps to keep up-to-date with the latest trends in the shipping world. For the last several years, NAMMA has held special sessions on seafarers’ welfare parallel to the CMA Shipping conference.
Mar. 20, 2017
Sessions 1 and 2 – Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Programs in the Maritime World: A Workshop for First Responders – Speaker: Helen Archontou (MSW, LSW) CEO of YWCA, Bergen County, NJ
– special presentation of new SAPR materials
– Dr. Kaimei Zhang – “Serving Chinese Seafarers”
– Amos Kuje – “Seafarers’ Welfare in Nigeria”
– Caitlin Vaughan – “SeafarerHelp and the Port Welfare Partnership Project”
– Dr. Wendy Cadge – “Impact studies and new research programs for seafarers’ welfare”
– Dr. Michael Skaggs “Seafarers’ welfare library programs”
Lunch break (sponsored by Brightwell Payments)
Special Session – CMA
– RADM Steve Poulin, First District Coast Guard Commander
– Christina DeSimone, FutureCare
– Capt. Patrick Dahlgren, VP, Marine Operations, Celebrity Cruises, Inc.
– Jason Zuidema (NAMMA)
Session 5 – ELM
– Jennifer Koenig Breen (SCI New York & New Jersey)
– Ben Bailey (Mission to Seafarers)